How do I update Ubuntu using the terminal?
- Open the terminal application
- For remote servers use the ssh command to login (e.g. ssh email@example.com)
- Fetch update software list by running sudo apt-get update command
- Update Ubuntu software by running sudo apt-get upgrade command
- Distribution Upgrade of Ubuntu running sudo apt-get dist-upgrade command
- Reboot the Ubuntu if required by running sudo init 6
Let us see all commands in detail.
How do I upgrade Ubuntu using the terminal?
You need to use either apt command or apt-get command. The apt command provides a command line interface for the package management system. we can install new packages, update packages, remove/delete packages and perform other administrative duties for package management using apt.
How to get the package index files from their sources via the Internet
Run the command:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt update
How to get upgraded packages on any Ubuntu/Debian based operating system
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt upgrade