GATS deal with agreement on trade in services means services relating to banking, insurance, information technology, telecom, health, education etc
Features of GATS
- There are 12 sectors and 161 sub-sectors of services covered under GATS.
- Provide four different modes of services across the borders from one country to another amongst member countries under Article 1 of GATS Agreement.
- Mode-1 Cross Border supply of services:
- popularly known as e-commerce or business process outsourcing (BPO)
- Mode-2 Consumption abroad:
- These types of services generally include tourism, health, education etc.
- Mode-3 Commercial presence:
- The examples under this category are Citi bank operating in India through its various branch offices.
- Mode-4 Movement of natural persons:
- free movement of natural persons on fulfillment of educational and other technical qualifications.
244 total views, 1 views today